Mandatory retrenchment notifications from 1 January 2017
- A new requirement on mandatory retrenchment notifications will take effect from 1 January 2017. The tripartite partners have issued an advisory to guide employers on complying with this requirement.
- Under the Workforce Singapore Agency Act, employers will need to notify the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) of retrenchments within 5 working days after they provide notice of retrenchment to affected employees, if 5 or more employees are retrenched within a 6-month period beginning 1 January 2017. Failure to notify within the required timeline is an offence and may be liable on conviction to penalties, including a fine not exceeding $5,000. More details are contained in the advisory. (see Annex A)
- These notifications will provide more complete and timely retrenchment information, to better enable Workforce Singapore (WSG) and the Taskforce for Responsible Retrenchment and Employment Facilitation to assist retrenched local employees find alternative employment and relevant training to enhance their employability.
- Briefings are available for employers to familiarise themselves with the new requirement. Employers can indicate their interest with the Tripartite Alliance for Fair and Progressive Employment Practices (TAFEP) at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For more information, please visit http://www.mom.gov.sg/notify-retrenchment.
Forwarded from website www.mom.gov.sg